This is one of seven specialised 6-week cycles, conceived in the wake of many countries’ governments’ rather radical measures to respond to the Covid-19 pandemic, rendering gyms closed, people stripped of equipment and confined to their neighbourhoods. Mike Bjerregaard has put all his gymnastics- and Olympic lifting experience into the construction of these, and there is hardly a better time to consciously and deliberately work to improve your gymnastics game and your plyometric capability. No equipment is required, other than a pull-up bar for the pull-up specific cycles, and everything can be done outside. All cycles are designed to carry over into weightlifting, preparing you as well as possible for your glorious return to the barbell dungeon. There simply are no excuses.
All of these cycles can be run in combination, which is highly recommended, as this approach offers a chance to improve on a wider scale while the Corona Circus unfolds. These are all 6-weeks, 2 sessions per week cycles, and all sessions can and should be completed within 30-45 minutes, making the different cycles easily combinable. You can commit to up to four Corona cycles simultaneously – e.g. a pull-up cycle, a hand-stand push-up cycle, a plyometrics cycle and the Corona Conditioning cycle – of course depending on your level of commitment to progress even under dystopian conditions. You can either spread out the sessions throughout the week or complete two or even three sessions from different cycles on the same day. It is recommended that you space the weekly sessions in a specific cycle 48-72 hours apart, to ensure necessary restitution.
Pick the right cycle(s) for you, by studying the below listed prerequisites for each specific cycle. For example, if you can do no more than 5 strict handstand push ups, then don’t go for the “road to +20 Strict HSPU” cycle. Don’t be an ant – think!
Minimum required number of reps for each cycle:
- 1. Road to +10 pull-ups: It is a prerequisite that you can do at least 3 unbroken pull-ups
- 2. Road to +10 strict chest to bar chin-ups: It is a prerequisite that you can do at least 10 unbroken pull-ups
- 3. Road to strict bar muscle-ups: It is a prerequisite that you can do at least 10 unbroken strict chest to bar chin-ups
- 4. Road to +10 strict handstand push-ups: It is a prerequisite that you can do at least 3 strict handstand push-ups
- 5. Road to +20 strict handstand push-ups: It is a prerequisite that you can do at least 10 strict handstand push-ups
- 6. Road to a +100cm box jump and +220cm broad jump: No prerequisites
- 7. Road to a +120cm box jump and +250cm broad jump: It is a prerequisite that you can do at least a 100cm box jump and a 220cm broad jump.